Powerscourt Estate in North County Wicklow, owned by the Slazenger Family for over 50 years, started as a castle in the 12th Century owned by the le Poer (Power) family. It was later owned by the O'Tooles and the Fitzgeralds, Earls of Kildare.
In 1603 Powerscourt Castle and lands were siezed and granted to an English arrival named Richard Wingfield whose family owned the estate until the Slazenger family bought it 350 years later. The Wingfields remodelled the old castle into the beautiful house which, despite a fire in 1974, stands to this date.
The Gardens, designed by Daniel Robertson (was one of the leading proponents of Italianate garden design which was influenced by Italian Renaissance villas), were developed over the following decades be various members of the Wingfiled family.
Powerscourt Waterfall is Ireland's highest at 398ft (121m) and featued in such Hollywood movies such as Excalibur.
These photos were taken in September 2011.
<< All categories|